MANUFACTURE: E & A Muller (GERMANY)
NAME: Courting Couple with Wreath
YEAR: 1890 - 1927
CONDITION: Foot of man and wreath were restored.
HEIGHT: 12 1/2 inch / 31 cm
WIDTH: 7 1/2 inch / 19 cm
DEEP: 5 1/2 inch / 14 cm
The figure has a hallmark on the bottom. The hallmark was identifies to be Porzellanfabrik E.&A. Muller, Schwarza-Saalbahn Porzellanfabrik E.&A. Muller (1890 until 1927) There are two different claims regarding the origin of this company: one states that this factory was founded by descendants of Johann Nicol Muller from Schonwald (Bavaria) - founder of the company that later became known as the Porzellanfabrik Schonwald A.G. - while the other states that E.&A. Muller in Schwarza had nothing to do with E.&A. Muller from Schonwald, the name being pure coincidence.Taking a look at the second claim shows that one person involved was Carl Louis Christian Eduard Muller (* May 31st 1855 in Lauscha; ?? ~ 1912), a factory owner, Kommerzienrat (a honorary title given to business magnates) and later politician of the Nationalliberalen Partei (N.L.P.). Eduard Muller was born as son of a glassworks owner and between 1869 and 1873 went to secondary school in Saalfeld and later received an education as businessman, finishing 1874. He joined the army for a year and afterwards started to work as an accountant (1877 until 1882) before becoming director of the factory owned by the US-based New York and Rudolstadt Pottery Co. Inc., the ?Porzellanfabrik Rudolstadt Straus & Sohne A.G. in Rudolstadt. In 1890 Muller is then claimed to have founded his own factory in Schwarza. At that time he also started to work with and for the local Chamber of Commerce, later becoming a member of the city council. He died around 1912. There is no further information available at the moment other than that they produced luxury porcelain and had about 200 workers in 1913. Fact is that they were taken over by the Porzellanfabrik Schonwald A.G. in 1927, shortly before that company itself merged with the Porzellanfabrik Kahla. The factory in Schwarza-Saalbahn was for a short time used as subsidiary by the Schonwald A.G. and there are reports that the factory still employed 75 workers in the year 1930 before it finally closed around 1938.The marks showing on our figurines were used from 1895, blue version.